Beck, aka Brian Beck, is an Educator that has 20+ years working in Higher Education in Digital Imaging & Design, Instructional Design, and Faculty Development.
Over a decade ago, he realized there was a lack of focus on innovation through technology that would truly impact taxpayers and public education.
The inspiration for learnOPENtech came from a community outreach project Beck helped start in San Angelo, Texas in 2011 named TexOS - The Texas Open Source Project. The program took donated computers from the community and partnered with school counselors and other non-profit organizations that work with kids and families who didn't have access to technology in their homes. They would pass along TexOS's application for the kids to fill out as to how a computer would help them. After the students went through training on the Open Source computers, they got to take them home, free to keep and encouraged to share their knowledge with others.
New Computers, new mindset
- NAACP of San Angelo, Texas
- Southside Lion's Club of San Angelo, Texas
- Habitat for Humanity of San Angelo, Texas
- Heart Gallery of Northwest Texas
- Angelo State University
- Howard College in San Angelo, Texas
- TAME - Texas Alliance for Minorities in Engineering
- San Angelo Museum of Fine Art Education
- CREO of San Angelo, Texas
- Improving student classroom and academic performance
- Improving student understanding of technology as it applies to life, as well as educational success
- Providing low cost access to educational and other useful software for all other purposes
- Helping students see technology as a bridge to communication
- Creating an active learning mindset that spreads from students to friends and other family members